Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolution


The meandering path which the Wildwood Trail cuts through Forest Park was a ribbon of mud and slop this last Sunday. A light dusting of snow had blanketed most of the forest floor except where the tree cover was most dense. Andrew and I had met at 8:30AM to crank out a two hour training run. In fact he had called forty-five minutes before we had planned to meet to ask if it was even worth it. The temperature hovered around thirty-three degrees, and snow was mixing with rain. The sum of these elements added up to potential hypothermia or at least severe misery. I was optimistic though and suggested that we go ahead with the plan.

So there we were, somewhere on the eight mile stretch between Wild Cherry and Saltzman following an already well tracked path. Clearly dozens of people had already passed this way. It is not unusual on a warm May weekend morning to have to slalom around runners, hikers, and dog walkers all enjoying the sunshine. Yet we found ourselves dodging many people traveling both directions. Some were young and lithe; many were slow and plodding. For such a foul January morning, it seemed bizarre to have such a crowd on the trail.

Andrew postulated that these were all the New Year’s Resolution People: the ones who vowed to run more, lose a little weight in 2011, and get fit. This was the first weekend of the new year, and he was probably right. Motivated by their fresh aspirations, they were out early mucking along the sodden trail. Most seemed bright and cheerful. I would be the first to admit that I felt like garbage and wished only to be back in bed.

How many of these hardy souls would still be rising early in February to trace their routes between the towering fir trees with soaked socks and mud choked shoes?

I know that if I am going to be successful in April, I must be one of those people who stays dedicated day in and day out, each month. There are a litany of excuses one could use, and many sound quite reasonable from the confines of a warm bed: maybe the rain will let up in the afternoon; if I get a cold, then my training will really be hampered; if I soak my shoes, I won’t be able to run tomorrow; I didn’t get enough sleep last night; I woke feeling dehydrated.

The root of the word resolution comes from resolute which means, among other things, firm in one’s belief. How many New Year’s resolutions fall by the wayside because the person does not genuinely believe that the resolution is worthwhile or that they can achieve it, that they lack belief in themselves or their goals? Don’t get me wrong; at times I have doubts about whether I can be successful in my goal to run 50 miles and raise the kind of money I hope to for the scholarship. However, I firmly believe that doubt keeps you honest. It requires you to assess your beliefs as well as what you are doing. I can assure you that the only thing that I do not doubt is the importance of the goal: helping to further some student’s education.

Will I be there in February when the muck on the trails becomes so deep it can suck your shoe right off your foot? My fellow runners will be fewer. The excuses will be numerous. Yes. I will be resolute because the answer to the question, “Is it worthwhile?” is always, “Without a doubt”.

As for our two hour run, it dragged on longer than we thought. At two hours and twelve minutes we jogged into the parking lot, resolved to run every last step.

No comments: