Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Goal

My goal is simple: run the Capital Peak Ultra-Marathon, collect pledges for every mile I run, and give the funds I raise to a graduating senior at North Marion High School (where I teach) to help them pay for their first year of college.

The student who will be awarded this scholarship will apply and argue that they have demonstrated endurance in the face of major obstacles to their academic goals. The reason why I have chosen to call it The Endurance Scholarship is to reward and celebrate a student's ability to tackle and surmount major, long-term obstacles to their education. The recipient of the award will be chosen based on their merit and need as indicated through the application materials. Any student who applies, though, will be asked to recruit people to pledge. The amount is not as important as the willingness to participate.

Will you step up and pledge?

For the next three and a half months, I will post here about my own personal journey as I prepare to run. Let it be said, though, that I am not a runner. I have completed four marathons, but I do not consider myself to be a runner. Instead I am someone who says, "I can, and I will" when others say, "It's impossible". I hope to demonstrate this attitude through this blog, inspire my students to think the same way, and to encourage people to donate to this scholarship.

I have no delusions about the outcome. Although I hope to finish the 50 miles of trail running, I know that that outcome is not certain. However I plan on doing all that I can to achieve this goal for myself and for that student who will be the recipient of the scholarship.

Please follow me as I complete the final three and a half months of preparation. I plan to blog at least once a week until April 30th, which is the date of the ultra-marathon.

No comments: