Sunday, April 22, 2012

Decision

Last night my panel was hard at work discussing the candidates for the scholarship. The letters of reference were weighed against the student’s responses to the essay questions. The life experience of one was considered in relation to the life experience to the other. Ultimately they came to a unanimous decision, but I am not going to share their choice until I have the opportunity, tomorrow, to speak to their choice personally.

Needless to say, I found it profoundly interesting that the members of my panel brought into their discussion their own personal experiences: as a psychologist, as someone who works with adolescent girls, as writers of applications, and as seekers of references. Each has witnessed their own version of perseverance. Their conversation was colored, for the better, by how they individually saw the world. The fact that they all came at it with a unique lens makes their unanimous decision all the more wonderful and significant.

I am profoundly proud to run on Saturday with this person’s name on my shirt and for their future as my cause. It motivates me and moves me emotionally. I look forward to sharing my panel’s choice with them tomorrow.

No comments: